Google

Thursday, September 16

B-E-A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E

Amy Henry from the first season of The Apprentice wrote a book relaying her experience as a woman in the male-dominated business world.

I heard a promo interview with her on the radio and she suggested a correlation between successful businesswomen and playing a team sports in school.

In the fifth grade, I was selected for the basketball team. This was a big deal: it meant you were good (since only three were chosen) and it guaranteed a spot in sixth grade. Being super short, I also considered this a personal victory. But I never missed a free throw, evah. I was like Rainman at the top of that goddamn key. Of course, it also meant getting fouled- but I've always been known to take one for the team....

Our first game was going well. Half-time pep talk and I'm back in the game. I get possession of the ball and take off down the court like a shot! And I thought I heard, "Go, Marietta! GO!" when my team actually yelled, "No, Marietta! NO!"

You see, I wasn't aware of the whole switching baskets after half time thing. Either I missed that practice or was too busy daydreaming of ways to get Vinny Pasquale to like me when the coach mentioned this crucial rule.

Needless to say, I made the basket and throw my fists up, "YEAH!" And turn around to what I thought would be accolades from my consorts, only to face bemoaned expressions and gestures.

In the midst of the coach's red-faced hissy fit, I realized my mistake. He subsequently benched me for the remainder of the game and while I managed to keep it together then, I cried the entire bus ride home. The next day, I quit.

So I'm thinking Amy should've been more specific in saying that women who excelled at team sports are more apt to do better in business.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought that to be a successful business woman, you had to have a nice rack, or a great pair of legs. Am I wrong? :)
D.Crow

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home