Google

Wednesday, July 21

Embracing your ethnic background is something I feel strongly about- especially for Americans. Most people I know grew up in a household of grandparents speaking broken English and an ingrained belief that we (children) are different regardless of native status. Which varies vastly from a person in say, Hungary. You were born there, that's the language you speak- you're Hungarian. Very cut and dry. In a nation of ancestral immigrants, especially in the NY metro area, few have that luxury.

That being said, the other day a girl walked past me with a shirt that read, "I ♥ Being Black." And I thought it would be akin to me sporting an "I ♥ Having a Clit," tee. It seemed the wording warranted congratulations for coming to terms with something you can't change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home